Tea partiers fear socialism, but love Social Security and Medicare

It’s the hypocrisy, stupid.  I certainly don’t care that people who are eligible receive Social Security and Medicare, but I think it is highly hypocritical to protest social programs while receiving benefits from social programs.  It was a discussion about this very thing that caused a relative of mine to change his mind about Health Care Reform.  He was all gung ho about being independent from the government but he gets his health care from the VA and just started getting Social Security.  I pointed out the contradiction and he finally got that others need the same help from the government he gets.

According to a new poll from CBS and the New York Times, 92% of tea partiers are scared that America is moving towards socialism — but in a strange twist, most of them seem to like it.

Despite the fear that socialism is coming to America, 62% of tea party supporters also support Social Security and Medicare. In fact, nearly half of them either benefit from Social Security or Medicare or have somebody in their immediate family who does. And about one-third are directly beneficiaries at least one of the programs, compared to about one-fifth of the population at large.

Some other highlights from the poll (NYT, CBS):

• 18% of Americans say they are tea party supporters.
  • 66% of tea party supporters say they usually or always vote Republican. (Just 5% vote Democratic.)
  • 73% say they are conservative.
  • 41% believe Barack Obama was born in the United States.
  • While 65% believe the Obama Administration treats blacks and whites equally, 56% believe it favors poor people over the middle-class and rich.
  • 89% are white and 52% believe too much attention is paid to the problems facing African-Americans.
  • 59% have a favorable view of Glenn Beck compared to 6% who view him unfavorably. (Among all Americans, the numbers are 18% and 17%.)
  • 63% say they get most of their political news from Fox News Channel.
  • 66% have a favorable view of Sarah Palin, compared to 12% who view her unfavorably. (Among all Americans, the numbers are 30% and 45%.)
  • 24% believe citizens can be justified in taking violent action against the government.
  • 52% believe the federal income taxes they pay are fair.
  • 84% of the tea partiers believe their views reflect those of most Americans, but only 25% of all Americans agree (remember: 18% are tea partiers).

REST OF ARTICLE.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponDigg thisPin on Pinterest

81 Responses to Tea partiers fear socialism, but love Social Security and Medicare

I’m gonna refer to the story of the little red hen on this one. You know where she asked the other barnyard animals to help her get the field ready, then plant the wheat, then water the wheat, then harvest the wheat, but no one wanted to help her because they were napping or playing. Then when she had a steamy hot buttery loaf of bread, they all wanted a piece?

You have NO CHOICE but to have ss and med. withheld from your check. The govt. SAYS it is YOUR money and they are ‘saving’ it for you when you need it. So to say people are ‘accepting’ their money back, as promised by the govt., is not the same as they are relying on a govt. hand out.

But you actually get more than you put in.

@Sage, Well that depends on a lot of factors. I don’t think everyone gets back more than they put in. But the point is they PUT IN, without consent, because the govt. all those years ago SAID TO. You pay in for 30 or 40 years and get back for 5 or 10 or possibly 15 if you’re lucky to live that long.
    And the point of the red hen story is all the ones who put in ZERO.

@AliSilver, “And the point of the red hen story is all the ones who put in ZERO.”

The only way you can put in nothing and get something back is if you have a disability that prevents you from working, or if you are the child of someone who qualified for SS, that parent died, and you are under 18.

@timesr, Oh Timesr, If only that were true. I am in full support of aid for those with disabilities and even those on ‘hard times’. But hard times are not 10 years in a row, while having more babies and playing video games. Think you have to put somethinhg in? Enter my stepkid and her husband, both non workers, working on their second baby, and drawing food stamps, housing, etc. Not talking about SS here, just the rest of the system.

It’s just not socialism however you look at it.

Scary that more people see Palin favorable than Beck…………
    I cannot get the fascination with that girl ! :S

4. Lonni says:

Even Social Security isn’t a total social program in that employees have a SS tax taken out of their checks every week, many of whom will never use the service. Medicare is an off-shoot of our Welfare System, which is also subsidized by people who will never use the system. Therefore, I see no hypocrisy in the position of evading Socialism while maintaining a certain level of public support for the needy. I, too, use the VA Medical System and while I am being treated well at this point, it took me over twenty years to get here. There are thousands of Veterans who are still denied Medical care based on means testing. So, that too, is not entirely “socialistic” nor does it cover every American Veteran.

Health care reform isn’t socialistic either, but because it is administered by the government as is Medicare. Social Security and the VA it is said to be socialistic. So either they all are or none are.

@Lonni, I would have to say using the VA like you Lonni and like Sage’s uncle is a sort of different thing. The VA is a “PERK” so to speak for those who served. Given that MANY suffer injuries and illness related to that service,, I just don’t see it the same way.

Taking , BY FORCE, from those WITH and giving it to those WITHOUT is socialism. Taking a portion of yoru paycheck every week to keep ‘safe’ ( as if its ever safe in the govt hand) is not the same thing.

@AliSilver, I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if SS had been privatized as Bush wanted to do. They for sure would not be calling it “security” and would not have had the safe guards of what it is now.
    The very people we are bailing out now would have been in charge of those privatized accounts.

@Wizcon, Well according to many reports over the last several years there will be NO SS in a decade or 2. That means folks paying in right now may see ZERO benefit from it. Because there was not LOCKBOX :(

@AliSilver, I have never counted on it. Nor have I counted on inheritenceor pension. My share of my ex’s state pension was moved years ago, thank God, as it has tanked.
    Just reviewed my annuity, still earning 6.25%
    Checking earning 4% and that is in a small bank.

No, not really.

1 : any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
    2 a : a system of society or group living in which there is no private property b : a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state
    3 : a stage of society in Marxist theory transitional between capitalism and communism and distinguished by unequal distribution of goods and pay according to work done

@Sage, relatively, very few of the corporate are exercising corporate socialism. That would be the to big to fail folks.
    The rest are hunkering down and riding out the storm. Here, unemployment is down.
    I see the current increase in unemployment as minor when you compare it to the jobs being lost a year ago. Yes, still a lot of unemployed but way fewer joing them.

@Wizcon, The discouraging thing is how many of the unemployed a year ago are STILL unemployed. There are a certain amount of jobs out there and that amount seems to have levelled off , but there are no new jobs. The folks that have jobs today are SUPER lucky and they know it. The ones who have looked for a year have all but given up.

@Sage, Is this to me? The definition of socialism ?

It’s just a reference for everyone.

6. timesr says:

If a majority of tea partyers like Medicare, why wouldn’t they want to see something like a Medicare for all program so their children and grandchildren could have the same benefit.

It’s that old adage of “I’ve got mine, screw you”.

@Sage, I just feel way differently than you do about it I guess. If they got theirs because they worked harder than me and saved half their paycheck and didn’t indulge in expensive, destructive habits, then why shouldn’t they have theirs and screw me ? What’s the motivation to work hard and pay your way through college and study etc etc if not to ‘have yours’ and if most is going to be taken from you and given to someone who did the opposite?

Lots of people don’t get ahead because they worked harder. They get ahead because of who they were born to, where they live, what color their skin is, etc. As a matter of fact, many people who are sitting collecting unemployment after YEARS of hard work realize that hard work doesn’t guarantee a thing. Our society is not equal for everyone.

I disagree ! :)
    To say that everyone with money was born into it is….well it’s just not true. Of course there is a % who are, but someone , their father or his father or someone WORKED hard for that money. Plenty of today’s most successful people started with nothing.

I didn’t say everyone. I said “Lots of people don’t get ahead because they worked harder.” That’s not everyone. Plenty of today’s least successful people are not successful because of the situation they were born into.

Much of the whole purpose of society is providing for everyone. I have to pay taxes for schools which I will never have children using. Is that fair? Not really, but it’s part of being a society. I’ve never had to use many services I pay taxes for but that’s just the way a society works. I’m sick of people yelling how they don’t want to help someone else while they are receiving the benefits of being in a society….police officers, fire departments, rescue squads, highways, parks, libraries, etc. etc. It’s not like anyone is an island separate from using government run amenities.

@Sage, The purpose of the original tea parties ( im not going to even guess what % of the current tea partiers are original or those who just hopped on for fun and have no clue how it started) was Taxed ENOUGH Already,,,,that is all. Not NO TAXES or ZERO BENEFITS FOR ALL.. Taxed Enough ! When you look at how many BILLIONS are wasted by congress, I say we are taxed enough already. If you have enough money in the bank to buy a 5K lunch for you and your friends, you are wasting money , which means you must have PLENTY. So if the govt can waste BILLIONS yearly on ‘pork barrel’ pet projects, they are getting ENOUGH. They could easily transfer some of those stupid projects into more aid for the needy, right? So why give them even MORE when they are wasting a big % of what they already take from us ?

That’s what is so ironic. Most people’s taxes have gone down under the Obama administration. So what’s to protest? I think the protest now is mostly because there is a black man in the White House.

@Sage, Honestly, I don’t know what the tea party is about today! I admire them from the start and I admire their ORIGINAL purpose still,but this thing going on is….. far from that place.
    I know it sounds like I’m always defending the tea party, but I try to make that clear I support its BEGINNING. The thing today scares me because I think lil’ ole sarah’s gonna sweep them all up to vote for her for SOMETHING and OMG ! :|

I think the tea party probably has been taken over by extremists and I don’t think they know what they are about today. They are angry but what they say they are angry about doesn’t make any sense.

@Sage, I stand corrected on your point. I thought you meant most were born into money :$

I think we do our kids a disservice when we tell them that all they have to do is work hard to get ahead. Clearly that isn’t true any more. When Wall Street can engage in the shady tactics they have been and decimate our 401K’s and other retirement plans, hard work definitely doesn’t have the clout of shrewdness and dishonesty. It’s a terrible message to the next generation. Thank GOD Bush didn’t get his way in privatizing social security or there would be a lot more people whose retirement was wiped out.

@Sage, BUT taxing us more and giving MORE to those with less, without STOPPING the a$$holes like goldman sachs etc, does NOTHING to stop the problem. It’s just making it harder for the middle class to get by. I think you and I are closer than we both think on this topic, but we approach it from different angles. It was the same with the health care reform. You don’t FIX the problem by taxing us more to give more health care to others when the CEO’s of the drug co’s and ins. co’s are still RAPING the whole country. I say clean up CORRUPTION, then we talk . Because every penny they take in tax, while there are still corrupt bankrobbers in DC, wall street and HEALTH industries, then our money will just FURTHER their bank accounts, not help anyone.

I think the SEC lawsuit against Goldman is a good start.

@AliSilver, “I say clean up CORRUPTION, then we talk.”

That’s fine, it does nothing to help those who don’t have access to health care now however. It would make some sense if people without health care were part of the corruption raking off the big bucks from the top, but they’re not.

I understand what you are saying but there hasn’t been a tax increase to pay for HC.

@Sage, But I think there is going to be soon. They said the taxing starts now for 3 years to accrue enough to start it, right?

In 2018 a tax on so called Cadillac plans will be implemented.

@Sage, ”Clearly that isn’t true any more. When Wall Street can engage in the shady tactics they have been and decimate our 401K’s and other retirement plans, hard work definitely doesn’t have the clout of shrewdness and dishonesty.” This kinda thing is a SHAME and can happen, but it doesn’t mean the person with the 401k was not getting ahead before they were robbed. Anyone can lose their money in a bad circumstance. If you were rich and someone came into your house and stole all of your money , that does not mean you were NOT RICH. So hard work DOES pay off. It just doesn’t mean you are assured that payoff forever.

The tea partiers kind of amaze me. They assume they speak for the majority but do not even read the press about themselves. Last year it was a huge joke that they called themselves tea baggers and they didn’t get around to looking up why people tittered until last week?

Also our taxes were down and they, more than any other group, accessed their ELECTED representatives in DC.

All that being said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the current state of the tea party is not what the original purpose was for and most of these current tea partiers are just PO’d at the govt and want to make waves. I’m not sure the founders of the party would approve and I’m not sure the founders of the party even show their face anymore. It’s been totally hijacked by the palin-esque fringe and God help us all now :(

obotinchief Reply:

@AliSilver, Sounds exactly like what happened to the PUMA movement, Murphy, Will Bower and Riverchucky let it get hijacked by the same people, just to say they had the numbers. Great observation about what happened to the tea party Ali.

obotinchief Reply:

oops, that is my comment marked Anonymous…hehe

I fixed it. No worries.

By the way, I added you to my blogroll.

obotinchief Reply:

@Sage, I noticed that, thank you! Your blog is one of my favorite daily reads.

I enjoy yours as well. I haven’t been checking it for about a week as I’ve been feeling bad. But, I really loved the teabonics today because I needed a laugh. Good job on your blog!

Hey obotinchief….I love your Teabonics pages on your blog. Mountainsage readers you might enjoy these misspelled protest signs:

Obotinchief’s teabonics page

@Sage, 1. How do those people keep/look for a job running around protesting?

I started looking at the words of reporters. Notice the Tea party has been branded anti government in some reports and signage and what I think they are protesting is big government.
    Also when a reporter says President Clinton “Alluded” to something what do they mean? Is Allude a stick to stir a pot?

I must be tired

They are probably on unemployment. :-) I have no idea about the President Clinton “alluded” to something thing.

By-the-way, it’s very nice to have you back Wizcon. I missed you.

AYE ! I’ve noticed a nice parallel to the tea party in one of yesterday’s headlines. AND I am beginning to think the takeover of the tea party is by design. The GOP, not the dems, are terrified of the tea party. WHY? Because the GOP knows they have lost a lot of THEIR base to it. So throw in some idiots to make it look like a bunch of inbred idiots and VIOLA… no one takes the tea party seriously.
    I was thinking this when in LA yesterday or day before an ‘illegal immigration’ protest was staged. It’s perfectly fine to protest illegal immigration. IT”S ILLEGAL, right? Enter some neo nazi white supremacists and now anyone who is against ILLEGAL immigration is a racist………see? How a regular protest can become SLANTED? So that to me is similar , in some ways, to the tea party stuff. 18 months ago, the tea party crowd had a legitimate and pretty understandable cause and were respected and were also respectful smart people. Most were former GOP or still GOP who want their party to LISTEN. The GOP is hanging by a thread and know they are vulnerable to tea party people. So if you can’t fight them, join them? Only this time instead of joining THEM, they took them over. Conjoined evil twins now. Listen the proof will be in the pudding. Sarahs’ running all over town to tea party express RALLIES , but when NOV comes she’ll be saying VOTE FOR THE GOP NOMINEE! Bank on it ! :)

When you see a POTUS of minority race and extremely disadvataged beginnings and a single mom, and then raised by a single grandparent, make it to the HIGHEST office of the land and some would say, the WORLD, then it’s ridiculous to say that anyone cannot accomplish anything , regardless of having to cross over very high hurdles !!!! :)

Yes, but he also had grandparents who put him in private schools and evidently helped him get into Harvard. One person is not indicative of everyone.

I really don’t get why anyone would deny that there are people who are at a distinct disadvantage in this country. Not everyone has the mental, physical, emotional or financial capacity to get ahead.

@Sage, I’m not denying there are people at an ADVANTAGE. Also I think we are talking about 2 different ‘getting aheads’. Some see success as millions in the bank and some see success as a warm bed and food on the table.

My dad is from a super SUPER poor Mississippi family. They lived in a shack that was maybe 700 sq feet, a family of 6. My dad is the only one who went to college and the only one who is not an alcoholic. He had no help from them of any kind and left to work his way through college with good grades and the clothes on his back. He was about as disadvantaged as they come . He’s not a millionaire but is college educated and provides for himself and his family. That is SUCCESSFUL in my book.

@AliSilver, I am not being flip when I submit that to many buy into the image of success through the media. I don’t see my house and living room in the ones I see on TV. My rings aren’t big and super shiny, I love my 11 yr old car. I will see it to the end.
    I see peoples income and debt alot. Overwhelmingly the ones in the most financial trouble are the ones with higher incomes and higher credit limits. They have bought into the idea that success must have curb appeal.
    The majority of the refinances I did last year, when few were getting them , were blue collar workers who had not gone nuts with their equity, did not run up their credit cards and did not have big shiny SUV’s. They just keep plugging away at their mortgages and take advantage of the lower interest rates when they can. Old school, they will have their houses paid off by the time they retire if not sooner. They will also be debt free.
    Remeber the book “The Millionaire Next Door?”

@Wizcon, No sorry, I don’t remember that book :( . I totally agree with you that people have reversed what success is and now if you aren’t a high roller, you’re just not successful. The movie by the rapper ”get rich or DIE trying’ pissed me off to no end every time I heard the name. If you’re not RICH, you might as well be dead? That sends a message to the youth of today that without BLING you have nothing. So that minimum wage job flipping burgers is NOT enough for them to trouble themselves with.

Sage, ”Not everyone has the mental, physical, emotional or financial capacity to get ahead.” You must admit that there is a HUGE % of people with out these disadvantages who just will not WORK to get ahead. I am one of them ! LOL ! I dropped out of college. I drank for several years and partied like a rock star without caring for a second about the future. Now let’s say I had a classmate, my age from the same school, learned the same stuff and she finished college, got better grades and lived a clean lifestyle. Is it fair for me to go to her with my hand out , after the decisions I made to just ‘get by’ and her decisions to excel and get ahead?

NOW I’m serious, NOW I’m scared. NOW I’ve got to make up for lost time. BUT It’ s MY FAULT I am where I am now. I feel pretty dang successful for no more years that I’ve put in to being productive and planning for the future. I do not want a bailout or a hand out and I don’t want to take something someone else EARNED because I was too lazy or drunk or careless to make the smart choices sooner.

Life isn’t fair sometimes. As I’ve asked before, is it fair I have to pay property taxes to build schools and support schools that I will never have children using? Of course not, but it’s how society works.

@Sage, In a society of say LIONS, the ones who contribute nothing get to eat AFTER the ones who contribute eat and they are on the verge of starving always by getting only what is left on the bones, not the meat ! :)

@AliSilver, Are you saying you think it’s ‘fair that I go to my classmate with my hand out ‘ ?

No, that’s not what I’m saying. You’re arguing something entirely different. I’m saying when someone has an inability to care for themselves for any one of thousands of real reasons, they, as a part of our society, should be helped by this society.

I didn’t ask to be born with a back birth defect or to live in pain. So far, I’ve not had to rely on the government and apply for disability, but if I should some day need to, then I will. That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about.

I know your personal experience has been that people getting government assistant are just lazy bums, but that’s not true of everyone. You can’t judge everyone by the two people you know.

@Sage, I know more than 2 people. But I said for people WITHOUT those disadvantages.

Shouldn’t we be a bit more evolved than Lions?

12. Patti says:

The hypocrasy is that the people who are screaming about government mandated healthcare are happy with government mandated social security and medicare. Many take out more than they put in, too. So, why have a problem with the healthcare mandate???

13. Patti says:

Why didn’t these tea party people stand up and scream when their government added a new, HUGE social welfare program called Medicare D??? Is it because most tea party people are older? and would benefit? It is fear that is driving these people – fear that something will be taken away from them, and fear that they won’t get what the want. When they say, “take back OUR country” or that they want to go back to a better time in history, they are talking about the time when white people ruled the roost. The 1950s was not so good for black people, by the way. They want to go back to Reagan days? Well, get ready to pay more taxes!

That’s a good question. Where were they when our deficit skyrocketed because of the war in Iraq? Or during the Bush bailout?

I think what they mean is we want our white country back….the one where it was inconceivable that a black man would sit in the White House. The one where people who didn’t speak English like they did couldn’t get a job.

OMG………. :(

I’ll say it in all caps since no one reads this sentence even though I’ve written it on this blog ten times.

I get that but what it started as isn’t what it ended up being. Even you admitted that. Many times, organizations start out well intentioned and get taken over or perverted along the way.

Well, they never mention anyone but Obama and other Democrats now. I can’t judge them by what I haven’t seen.

@Sage, They started out mentioning BUSH !

I wasn’t aware of that and I think it was a very small group at that time. Now, it seems to have attracted a bunch of angry white people who just want to be the top dogs again.

@AliSilver, “THE TEA PARTY WAS CONCIEVED BEFORE OBAMA WAS ELECTED AND WAS IN DIRECT RESPONSE TO THE FIRST BANKING BAILOUTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

From Wikipedia:

“On January 19, 2009, Graham Makohoniuk, a part-time trader and a member of Ticker Forum, posted a casual invitation on the market-ticker.org forums to “Mail a tea bag to congress and to senate”.[32] The idea quickly caught on with others on the forum, some of whom reported being attracted to the inexpensive, easy way to reach “everyone that voted for the bailout.”[33]

Forum moderator, Stephanie Jasky helped organize the group and worked to “get it to go viral.”[34] Jasky is also the founder and director of FedUpUSA – a fiscally conservative, non-partisan activist group that describes themselves as “a group of investors” who sprung out of the market-ticker.org forums.[35] The group had previously held DC protests in 2008.[36][37] On January 19, 2009, Jasky had posted a formal invitation “to a commemorative tea party.”[38] She suggested they all send tea bags on the same day (February 1, 2009) in a coordinated effort.[34]“

Thanks. I thought I remembered it being started later but wasn’t sure.

@Sage, Sorry, the idea was already going around. Here’s how I know for 100% , in the summer before the election,, 2008, right when the banks started collapsing, lehman, etc. I started to see several cars and trucks driving around that said TEA PARTY 2008. It may have been isolated in TX, and I think, but don’t quote me, that it was a RON PAUL brainstorm. Its original purpose had nothing to do with barack or any democrat. It was to send a message to the GOP that the GOP voters were Pissed. It was purely about tax because the idea of bailing out banks was infuriating. I had to call my dad at that time and say what is up with these cars. They had shoe polished their windows. They were trying to send a message of clean up your act GOP or we won’;t vote for you come November and they did not and they did NOT vote for them, clearly.
    So the ‘national tea party’ or whatever it is called has splintered off of that. :)

@AliSilver, http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=tea+party+2008&rlz=1R2ACGW_enUS367&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=ca6b5a4f84435186

too many links to click, but clearly you can see there was tea party talk in 2008 :)

@AliSilver,

Thank you.

I went to the first site at the top of the google search and discovered “Committees of Safety”, apparently the original Tea Party group.

From their site:

“The only establishment or institution that combines all of these elements is “the Militia of the several States”, the “well regulated Militia” that the Second Amendment tells us are “necessary to the security of a free State”.

But a true constitutional “well regulated Militia” exists in not one State in this Union today.

So, WE THE PEOPLE need to revitalize “the Militia of the several States” in order to regain and retain popular control over State governments, and through them to regain and retain control over the two fundamental powers of sovereignty: (i) the Power of the Purse-i.e., currency and credit, and (ii) the Power of the Sword-i.e., community self-defense.”

They are/were Ron Paul supporters and argue for eliminating the Federal Reserve, our central bank. In the brief look at their site, I saw no mention of Alexander Hamilton, as founding father and advocate of a privately managed central bank.

They seem to have lifted their “Principles” from AA. What’s up with that?

@timesr,

IMHO, groups like the Committees of Safety want to return to the glory days of a mythical past.

This article describes the economic period between central banks.

@timesr, IDK,, But if anyone could use a 12 step program right about now it’s the fed govt, LOL :P

So sorry to burst your bubble, the tea party is not ANTI BLACK !
    Correction ^^^^^^^^ the BEGINNING tea party .

Sorry Sage, I have not made myself clear enough. I have NEVER ever thought that NO ONE DESERVES HELP! Of course there are people who are unable to take care of themselves for a variety of reasons. But I feel very strongly that if you examined 100% of all recipients of AID, a big %% of them do use the system. And when someone like you needs help there may be none left, because of someone like my stepkid who’s abusing the system. It is the ABUSERS of the system I loathe.

Many years ago my husban’d mother needed disability and was denied several times. She had a back issue and was middle aged and NEEDED the income but was denied. At the same time I had friends and acquaintances who were recieving food stamps while totally able bodied to work. Not the same department, I undertsand, but you can see t he discrepancy !