Sarah Vain and Simple

I can’t figure out where she found the time for a book amid her busy schedule of arguing with a teenage boy.

When Sarah Palin burst onto the American stage little more than a year ago as John McCain’s running mate, she was a virtual unknown in the Lower 48 and a relative political novice even in Alaska. A slim fifteen months later, Palin is now an iconic figure in American culture who reflects the troubling confluence of image and celebrity in our national polity.

[snip]

With all the incumbent hype, one might have expected that Going Rogue would have risen above many of the petty and even vicious traits that Palin exhibited on the campaign trail last fall revving up the GOP faithful with incendiary attacks on Obama. Instead, Going Rogue sinks even further into Palin’s unique brand of narcissism and victimhood. She remains an unapologetic warrior in our country’s culture wars and the most divisive politician of our time.

While not nearly as garbled as some of Palin’s more memorable “word salads” (so delightfully parodied by Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live), Going Rogue, written by Palin with evangelical author Lynn Vincent, is both uneven in its composition and erratic in its argumentation. It is also riddled with the many of the lies, half-truths and distortions for which Palin has become notorious.

The Palin portrayed in Going Rogue is surprisingly unlikable. She is vengeful, mean-spirited and spiteful — and this in a narrative she has crafted herself. She takes cheap shots at the likes of Michelle Obama, John Kerry and Alec Baldwin, and describes Katie Couric as “the lowest-rated news anchor in network television.” While Palin claims that her life “is in His [God's] hands,” vengeance would seem to be her guiding light.

REST OF ARTICLE

FacebookTwitterStumbleUponDiggPinterest

25 Responses to Sarah Vain and Simple

1. skyagunsta says:

me thinks sarah palin’s head has a missing screw.

SARAH SARAH SARAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just gotta say,,,, with regards to the GOP in general… if Palin is your only ENERGIZING player and she’s getting all the attention in your WHOLE party…….I think we collectively as dems and reps can say a big loud… “”" W T F “”" :)

It’s a joke…….

Oh btw, Sage,, I don’t know if you saw this or n ot. I posted it way late on another thread.. re: obama’s promise to bring home troops….

Thanks, Ali. I’ll take a look at the video. I didn’t see the earlier link.

I stand corrected. I personally had not heard him say that. I think he needs to get it together and pull the troops from Iraq and probably from Afghanistan as well.

I was talking to my dad this morning….he was in the Philippines and Germany during WWII and he was talking about how wars are something old men start for young men to die in. He won’t even watch war documentaries or movies any more. He’s very concerned about all the emotional and mental problems the returning troops are going to have.

Sarah’s book hit the stands for the first time yesterday and it’s already priced at around half price. Guess they are trying to go for the numbers. They can say “Best seller” on her resume

@Wizcon,

Nine dollars on Amazon and free from Newsmax.

I would have to be paid to read that book. A lot!

Wonder how those that prepaid $28 feel?

I heard on some news program that only 14 pages were dedicated to political issues, the rest was just Sarah’s ramblings.

Guess you have to look at why one likes Sarah. Her so called chutzpah or her political/ governing savvy. Personally, I don’t think she has what it takes to govern or opine if she is unwilling to meet with those of differing views. Not good for informed opinions and decision and extremely bad for foreign relations. I think she should have coffee with Hilary. I violunteer my coffee pot and brownies.

I can’t wrap my head around why anyone likes Sarah. I think back to people who liked Bush because they wanted to have a beer with him and I shudder to think the same type of phenomena is going on with those who like Sarah.

@Sage, I told u previously my mom is a super sarah fan ! Just INSANE about her, I tell ya. The thing with mom is ( im not saying this for all sarah fans) she has no idea about anything relating to current events, state of the union, state of the wars in the east….. she doesnt’ really know what is going on out there. <<< my mom, not sarah. She likes sarah only because she sassed some folks with a sharp tongue. THAT IS ALL. She can say all day long that this is not it, but it is . She thinks Sarah is smarter, because she 's sassy ! That same mom taught me years ago that Sassy does not equal smart! LOL

I personally think Sarah Palin is just plain silly. She thinks she’s cute with all of her winks and “you betchas” and knows very little about the serious issues that face this country. I don’t like her politics. I wouldn’t vote for her as dog catcher.

@AliSilver,

I have a conservative friend who is not stupid and likes Sarah – it boggles the mind!

Unfortunately, quite a few Hillary Clinton supporters decided that voting for any woman was a good thing. How anyone could have supported Hillary Clinton and then support Sarah Palin is beyond my comprehension. No two women could be any more different in their politics.

@timesr, Ask your friend WHY? Don’t let your friend BS you with some she’s tough, she’s x, y and Z . Make them give you CONCRETE reasons. My mom can’t ! LOL,, and if I press her on WHY , she throws me out of her house!!!!! HOORAY THANKSGIVING IS HERE :P

I dread Thanksgiving. If somebody starts a political argument I think I will walk out.

6. Sage says:

Well, this is interesting (From the Daily Dish)

This is only the second time in its nearly ten-year history that the Dish has gone silent. The reason now is the same as the reason then. When dealing with a delusional fantasist like Sarah Palin, it takes time to absorb and make sense of the various competing narratives that she tells about her life. There are so many fabrications and delusions in the book, mixed in with facts, that just making sense of it – and comparing it with objective reality as we know it, and the subjective reality she has previously provided – is a bewildering task. She is a deeply disturbed person which makes this work of fiction and fact all the more challenging to read.

And the fact that she is now the leader of the Republican party and a potential presidential candidate, makes this process of deconstruction an important civil responsibility. We take this seriously as we always have. We want to be fair to her, and to her family, and to the innocent people she has brought into the spotlight. And we are not reporters. We are merely analysts trying to make sense of evidence already in the public domain, evidence that points in all sorts of directions, only one of which can be true.

Well I said it already but I think it merits repeating…. If this is the GOP,,, GOD HELP US ALL !!!!!!! And I am a conservative,, so don’t pounce on me ‘bro! :)

The McCain camp has pretty much called her a liar and now an attorney in the Exxon Valdez case calls Palin’s account of her part in that case, cockamamie bullshit.

“That is the most cockamamie bullshit,” said Dave Oesting of Anchorage, lead plaintiff attorney in the private litigants’ civil case against Exxon and its successor, Exxon Mobil Corp. “She didn’t have a damn thing to do with it, and she didn’t know what it was about.”

8. timesr says:

Just for fun

“rogue
    n.
    1. An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.
    2. One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp.
    3. A wandering beggar; a vagrant.
    5. An organism, especially a plant, that shows an undesirable variation from a standard.
    adj.
    1. Vicious and solitary. Used of an animal, especially an elephant.
    2. Large, destructive, and anomalous or unpredictable: a rogue wave; a rogue tornado.
    3. Operating outside normal or desirable controls

I vote number 1.

@Sage, I vote 3…metaphorically

@timesr, HEHE ”4. A vicious and solitary animal, especially an elephant that has separated itself from its herd.”

Prophetic? Or am I reading too much into it ….

LOL