Health reform foes plan Obama’s ‘Waterloo’

I really have no problem when people have legitimate objections to health care reform, but I have had the definite impression it is more about defeating Obama than anything else.   DeMint’s comment makes me think I wasn’t too far off the mark.   I think DeMint just said what a lot of people are demonstrating while hiding behind the boogeyman of socialism.

Until Obama was elected I really didn’t realize just how racist this country still is.  I’ve made posts before about Free Republic and the racist comments on that board but it goes way beyond anonymous posters on message boards.  Audra Shay the vice chairman of the Young Republicans has made headlines with her LOL to a racist comment:

On Wednesday, Shay—a 38-year-old Army veteran, mother, and event planner from Louisiana who has been endorsed by her governor, Bobby Jindal—was holding court on her Facebook page, initiating a political conversation by posting that “WalMart just signed a death warrant” by “endorsing Obama’s healthcare plan.” At 1:52, a friend named listed as Eric S. Piker, but whose personal page says his actual name is Eric Pike, wrote “It’s the government making us commies… can’t even smoke in my damn car… whats next they going to issue toilet paper once a month… tell us how to wipe our asses…”

Two minutes later, Piker posted again saying “Obama Bin Lauden [sic]  is the new terrorist… Muslim is on there side [sic]… need to take this country back from all of these mad coons… and illegals.”

Eight minutes after that, at 2:02, Shay weighed in on Piker’s comments:  “You tell em Eric!  lol.” SOURCE

How about Los Alamitos Mayor Dean Grose who at least had the good grace to resign after sending an email with a photo depicting the White House law as a watermelon patch.

Or more recently Atwater City Councilman Gary Frago sent e-mails to city staff and other prominent community members with racist “jokes” like “nigger rigs” should now be called “presidential solutions.”   One email said:  “Breaking News Playboy just offered Sarah Palin $1 million to pose nude in the January issue. Michelle Obama got the same offer from National Geographic.” SOURCE

Of course the racism isn’t just directed at Obama, Sonya Sotomayor got more than her fair share of it flung in her direction. She was accused of being a reverse racist, a term that really is just so ridiculous as to be laughable. How dare she think a Latino woman may have more in common with most Americans than rich old white men?  Last I checked Latino women haven’t had their foot on the necks of white men for decades.

There are lots more examples but I think the reader gets the picture and  I hate even giving them exposure by posting them for comment.

Yes, indeed, Senator DeMint may be right…..health care reform may just be Obama’s waterloo, but I’m betting the Republican’s racism will be theirs.

July 17, 2009

Health reform foes plan Obama’s ‘Waterloo’

Conservative leaders will push delay any vote on health care reform until after the August recess to capitalize on what they say is a growing tide of opposition to reform measures, they said on a conference call with “tea party” participants today.

“I can almost guarantee you this thing won’t pass before August, and if we can hold it back until we go home for a month’s break in August,” members of Congress will hear from “outraged” constituents, South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint said on the call, which was organized by the group Conservatives for Patients Rights.

“Senators and Congressmen will come back in September afraid to vote against the American people,” DeMint predicted, adding that “this health care issue Is D-Day for freedom in America.”

“If we’re able to stop Obama on this it will be his Waterloo. It will break him,” he said.

REST OF ARTICLE

58 Responses to Health reform foes plan Obama’s ‘Waterloo’

1. Desert Sage says:

Sage, would you consider Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton racist? Or is racism limited to “rich old white men”.

I take offense to the implication and generalization. Racism isn’t that simple, and it’s not a white on black issue any more.

Lots of people are racist but nobody wants to own it.

I’m not worried about Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton. Unlike white men, black men haven’t ruled the world. If they are racist, I damn sure wouldn’t blame them. I realize it’s a typical defense mechanism to switch the spotlight to someone other than those who are the topic of discussion.

Racism was perfected by white people, men in particular since they were the ones with power, who have throughout history abused and discriminated against people of color….any color. Indians, Chinese, Mexicans, Vietnamese, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Native Americans, etc. etc. I just really can’t get too worked up about white men who NOW want to complain about racism. It didn’t bother them before when they were the ones discriminating and I’m not going to engage in discussion about how the poor white men are being so discriminated against now. As many conservatives are so found of saying, you reap what you sow.

And no I don’t hate white men, I’m married to one and have a whole lot of family members who are white men. Most of them are man enough to recognize and hate the discrimination and wrongs done to people of color instead of whining about how bad they have it now.

All these comments, especially the racist ones are going to be sound bytes in the next election. Just think of the ads the Dems will come up with. You can bet on it

Absolutely. There will be blow back.

3. Pingback: Sarah Palin Facebook | All Days Long

4. Infidel753 says:

I don’t think it’s true that the country as a whole is still racist. If that were the case, Obama wouldn’t have been elected. There is certainly a very nasty racist streak coming to the surface on the hard right.

Yep, there is a very nasty streak coming out but not all of it from what I would consider the “hard” right.

“I don’t think it’s true that the country as a whole is still racist.”

You’d be surprised, my parents were.

A few years back my parents invited a black friend to a dinner at a club they’d been members of for many years. They and their friend were shunned by people they’d counted as friends for years.

My parents live in a very liberal part of the country, and the club had no stated racial policy.

5. Pingback: Valuable Internet Information » Health reform foes plan Obama’s ‘Waterloo’

6. [...] More here: Health reform foes plan Obama’s ‘Waterloo’ [...]
    BTW I love your blog!

7. Desert Sage says:

Sorry Sage, this is just another “blame the conservative white guy” screed.

I don’t subscribe to the “Racism was perfected by white people…” meme. There is too much world history to prove otherwise. And accusing conservatives of having an exclusive hold on all things racist is a bit intellectually dishonest.

Just ask Barbara Boxer, uh I mean Senator Boxer.

In this country it has been the white male that has done the discriminating. If you can’t admit that you are intellectually dishonest or just in complete denial.

Cagney Reply:

I have to agree with this.

I’m white abd when I’m in a black setting, any resentment that I sense is NOT the same as what my race has done to them in the past. It’s just NOT the same.

Now that we have an African American president, who happens to be smart, well spoken and well studied, It just makes me feel proud.

Even though I have done very little – during my whole life – to do much for the other race. Maybe all I did was remain passive. I’m not proud of that.

But I am proud of where we are now, even if I didn’t really help much.

I don’t know that I helped much either, although I tried at least on a personal level. In the 70′s my husband and I had an interracial couple as friends and when they tried to get married the local churches turned them down. They ended up getting married in our living room with a justice of the peace. It was a very small contribution but meant a lot to them.

When I was working in Tucson as an apartment assistant manager I saw a lot of discrimination against Mexicans. Of course it was unspoken as it was against the law but I noticed the leasing agents discourage Mexican applicants. Since they didn’t do anything blatant it was almost impossible to report to the authorities so I rectified that by making sure I took the applications from any Mexicans that walked in the door (at least when I was at work).

I think each little slap back at racism moves us forward a little so we all can do what we can do.

8. Desert Sage says:

An excerpt:

“My friends and I have shared a long running conversation about liberal racism. It is a peculiar beast. Conservatives, who are the most frequently tarred, and with good reason, by the label of being “racist,” display a variant of white supremacy born of a willful historical myopia that couches white racism as being a mere “inconvenience” or historical oddity (when in fact white supremacy is the dominant historical narrative in the modern world).”

“By comparison, liberals are hyper-conscious of race and racial inequality. “Progressive” attitudes on race are central to liberal-left identity. However, this race consciousness does not immunize them from being active racists or from holding beliefs that are deeply informed by a premise that people of color are inferior, or perhaps stated in a more benign fashion, are merely “different.” Here, difference becomes a signifier of a compelling and curious Other. This Other needs saving, this Other needs to be understood, and this Other needs help. He is pathological and cannot escape the myriad of limited life choices that await him. She is damaged by the dual oppressions of white racism and black male sexism. They cannot overcome racial adversity and white supremacy without our help.”

“The danger of this paternalistic attitude is that for some self-consciously progressive members of the Left, they, like their conservative nemeses, are also afflicted by a myopia that works to preclude self-reflection. These good liberals believe they have a pass which excludes the possibility of racist thought, speech, or action. Ultimately, these good liberals are incapable of being racists because they are the friends of the poor coloured folk of the world. These good liberals are supposedly our most erstwhile allies.”

A couple of other good articles:

You’re right Sage… “Lots of people are racist but nobody wants to own it.” Conservative or Liberal.

What a crock of crap. Seriously, that’s just a pathetic attempt to get around helping anyone who has never been able to play on a level field because of discrimination. All you did by posting that was to show your ignorance.

The old everyone has to pull themselves up by the bootstraps talking point. It’s not paternalistic to offer a helping hand when one is needed. Believe it or not liberals even believe in helping…..gasp…..white people when it is called for.

Desert Sage Reply:

Again, not my words, his. His “ignorance”. A black man’s perspective that you throw to the wind as a “crock of crap” and a “pathetic attempt”.

And your myopic vision, just as Vega points out, that liberals have a monopoly on “helping” people is condescending in the least.

LOL I’m really pretty impressed you found an argument from a black man to shore up your argument. How white of you to use the words of a black man to defend racism.

“They cannot overcome racial adversity and white supremacy without our help.”

Blacks have been targeted even when they’ve managed to make lemonade from the lemons handed them.

Yeah, blacks, as a minority, have needed the help of the majority in enforcing anti-discrimination laws and to see that they are treated fairly. It has to do with basic human decency.

9. Desert Sage says:

Sorry you missed the point and resorted to an ad hominem diatribe. I think the last paragraph is particularly indicative of your world view.

To dismiss the act of “liberal racism” is exactly what Chauncey De Vega is referring. Not my words, his.

Yes, it is the fact the white race, men AND women, were responsible for much racism in America.

Do I feel remorse for the scars of white society on American history? Yes.

Do I condone the actions of the few today that feel the need to make crude jokes to bolster their own identity? Absolutely not!

Do I feel personally accountable for the sins of my ancestors? Absolutely not! (Which by the way I don’t have any ancestors that participated in slavery and/or racist activities)

Do I think the path to racial harmony is to blame the “white man” and hold their ancestors accountable for all time? Absolutely not!

“…bootstraps talking point”? I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Desert, The author is really generalizing all whites. He/she is doing the same thing as white racists, basing the bias on a stereotype of a race. It seems no matter what a person does good or bad, if they are of a different race, the judgement comes down as either a kind of savant disorder if its good and a negative generalization if its bad. All races do this.
    Genders do this. Economic classes do this. Social classes do this.

Desert Sage Reply:

You’re absolutely right Wizcon.

Ad hominen….another favorite tactic, insult and then whine we you get insulted in return.

No, I didn’t miss the point Desert. You did and once again didn’t address the original post choosing except to use a tired old talking point to deflect. Basically the totality of your posts amount to “yeah, so……. look what liberals do.” It reminds me of a kid whose defense when caught in an infraction of the rules is that his buddy, brother or sister, is guilty as well. That’s really no defense whatsoever.

I’m sure you don’t feel personally accountable for racism and probably not much of anything else either. Any denial that the white race and in particular white men are responsible for the racism both past and present in this country is pure crap. And yes, every time you excuse the racist behavior you condone it and your “liberals are racist, too” post was nothing but an effort to excuse.

As for De Vega, it’s a shame he would take acts of kindness and solidarity and twist them into some kind of racism………it’s his opinion and ONLY his opinion, not proof of anything and tells me more about him than liberals. It’s probably the only time you’ve given credence to the words of a Black man. I realize though that your whole point in posting that particular post was to try and use the fact he is Black as a point card. If nothing else you are predictable.

Come back when you have something besides a talking point to share.

Desert Sage Reply:

“All you did by posting that was to show your ignorance.”

“It’s probably the only time you’ve given credence to the words of a Black man.”

“I’m sure you don’t feel personally accountable for racism and probably not much of anything else either.”

Classy, just classy!

“yeah, so……. look what liberals do.”

I’ll come back when start posting something other than liberal talking points.

I don’t listen to liberal talking points. I posted my observations. Nobody had to tell me what racism looks likes.
    I find your defense funny….once again you deflect.

AYE!

11. Pingback: Health reform foes plan Obama’s ‘Waterloo’ - Orkutadda.com - Orkut scraps, orkut graphics, orkut, scraps, html, graphics, glitter, codes, tools, layouts, profiles, scrapbook

Personally, I think Washington and the 2 parties suffer from Crab Bucket Syndrome. If you put a bunch of crabs in a bucket and one is successfully climbing out, the others will pull him back in. Its a term used in management describing work places that are not getting things done. They are all to busy tearing down and sabotaging those that look like they are accomplishing something.

Desert Sage Reply:

Exactly!

So you agree that Obama is targeted by the rest because he is accomplished?
    I think that the increase in racist comments and activities is designed to “put him in his place”. What they forget is that he is our elected President. Way to many incidents of racism have either leaked or have been blatently and publicly demonstrated not to have some kind of design behind them.

I don’t expect everyone to be as articulate as he is but at that level, at the least, they should give careful consideration as to what they say. As I said earlier, it’s going to come back and bite them or should I say “Byte” them in upcoming campaigns.

There has been a rise in the membership of the KKK and other white supremacist groups. That isn’t coincidental to the increase in racism we have seen.

My very unpolitically correct husband mentioned to me that he saw the newest Chia “pet”….it was a bust of Obama. His comment was “how racist is that?” My husband is non-political and seldom mentions things like that but even he believes the racism is blatantly apparent.

13. Sarah says:

Racism will never go away. Slavery will never go away. Prostitution will never go away. Terrorism will never go away. And we can all add to that list.

It’s shameful that America is the only western or First World Country that doesn’t have universal health care. I’m Canadian, and although we don’t have the best health care in the world, it’s still a hell of a lot better than the States. I’m not saying that American should follow our example, because I’m sure France, Britain or better yet, the Nordic countries are providing health care more efficiently. I can’t speak for those countries, but Canada does have some private clinics as well.

I understand cost is everything, and people are worried about how much it will cost to get universal health care, but it has to be done – someday.

At least for children, it should be provided like education is up to high school. People shouldn’t have to to talk to some insurance provider over the phone to find out whether they can have life saving surgery. No one should have to go through that.

I’m sick of hearing government officials in America say “we don’t want a politician in between you and your doctor.” No you lunatics – people already have insurance providers in between them and their doctor — telling people about their pre-exisiting conditions, followed by a “good luck with cancer” and a click.

Canada ain’t the best, but thank God we don’t have to go through that now, or ever.

14. Cagney says:

The subject was Health Reform may be Obama’a Waterloo

I’m convinced that the Republican leaders are focused on undermining Obama. Much more than they care about solving any current major issues like unemployment, healthcare or the economy.

I get the sence that their motives are manifold.
    - Getting back into power in 2010 and 2012
    - Holding on to campaign money from insurance lobbyists
    - Some ourtight racist resentment that a black man holds so much trust

The poorest one amoung them has a great job and health plan.
    But now they’re tone-deaf – don’t care about us.

Insurance companies, medical device makers and drug companies want to continue plundering people and they’re very nervous now that some one is meddling with their profit.

Dems and Repubs have both enabled this for decades. Nothing new there.

But now this administration wants to fix it and the repubs know that if Obama succeeds it’ll be even a longer and dryer spell for them … but they just don’t care about us … not now.

They’re trying to save what power they still have.
    They know that sufficient mud-slinging can undermine the trust for Obama – a trust that they just plain resent.

Isn’t that what is wrong with this country….politicians who care more about re-election and their power than they are the good of the country.

Cagney Reply:

Yes and I think most people know about … all along for decades and we’ve just put up with it.

But now, we’re in serious economic trouble and I wish everyone would just get on to a common goal, fix the problem and THEN go back to the stupid in-fighting.

If Obama’s admistration can resolve a good chunk of this mess then the Replicans are going to suffer even more than they are now.

But you can sense that they’e smelling blood – even hoping that he fails. If he fails we’re screwed.

I get the impression they don’t care if we are screwed as long as they can get their way.

Bada Bing.
    The dems were very much obsessed with undermining Bush, so please let’s not pretend it’s a one way street……..
    But at the end of the day, both sides are in perpetual and extreme underming of THE CITIZENS……. nothing else matters as long as we are kept in the dark,,,,, like good children :)

Actually Bush got too much cooperation or the patriot act would never have passed nor would we be in Iraq. Rather than opposing those efforts the Democrats rolled over and played dead.

Cagney Reply:

No one here even hinted that the Dems didn’t do it too. That was acknowledged and you apparently missed the acknowledgement.

But that was then and this is now. We’re in a serious economical crisis and the repub leaders are the ones that are focused on defeating ANY solutions that could be credited to Obama.

It’s like when two siblings get into a fight.
    One is dumb enough to take a swing while Dad was watching.
    He gets blamed … that’s the way it is.

Right now, people are hurting and WATCHING like never before.
    They’re INTERESTED like never before.
    They won’t CARE if you say the Dems did it too.

But to say that some folks are AGAINST a health care reform that is currently in front of us to judge, because they want to see Obama fail,,,,,,, is as stupid as the GOP calling those who were anti bank bailout of 08 unpatriotic, isnt it?
    Isnt it possible to be against this health care bill and not be an obama basher or a racist?

Cagney Reply:

> Isnt it possible to be against this health care bill
    > and not be an obama basher or a racist?

You’d think so wouldnt you?
    Whenever I hear somone against the heathcare reform …
    I’m all ears … I listen.
    But so far I’ve been dissapointed with repubs who care more about undermining the opposition … more than coming up with good objections or even other ideas.

I’m waiting – every day for good arguments … I just never hear them.

Sure it is but this guy made it clear he wanted Obama to fail. Sounds personal to me.

I think this particular thread has 2 topics, one health care, one racism,, and I guess it’s easy to mix the 2 up.

I actually did go back and read and I again missed said acknowledgment re: dems doing it to gop. BUT that is not even my point,,,,,my point is always,,, almost always,,, that both sides don’t care and whatever makes one side look superior in today’s bylines is what they do. Undermining a sitting prez is what the opposition party does best ! :)

Sage,, those 2 point, iraq and patriot act,, I wondered at the time why the dems did go along.

But, seriously,,,,,,we all know why, right?

Some went along because they bought the CIA report hook, line and sinker. Some because they are conservative and some because they were afraid of being labeled unAmerican or unPatriotic. Oh, and some because they have a vested interest in the defense industry.

18. Cagney says:

Look …

Chairman Max Baucus has recieved more that $3.4M from Health Care lobbyists. And geeting even MORE now that things are heating up. Healthcare companies are turning down the thumb-screws on politicians what have been in thier pockets.

Repubs will be out in the cold for 4 more years if Obame gets any serious wins on health care.

Back when dems didn;t really appose Bush on getting into Iraq there were two factors that infulenced a lot of people that I knew.

1. Patriotism was flamed like even bigger than I recall in my lifetime, Viet Nam wasn’t as strong – only WW-II.

2. People were assured that we would find WMS in Iraq.

Bush and Cheney should have just told the truth … they might have received permission to go after Saddam anyway. If the people of this country said No!, it wouldn’t have been so horrible.

On the other hand, if Bush and Cheney asked for an OK to go after Bin Laden – who would have said no?

My whole point is that what Obama is trying to do – and getting push back from repubs (with some pretty lame talking points) is just not the same as when the dems tried to make life hard on the repubs.

Besides, this is not a time to just tolerate rediculous in-fighting.

If the repubs succeed in dowing heatlth care reform –
    especially with the lame objections they’ve desged up so far -

I think it will be a Waterloo for repubs – not so much for Obama.

19. Cagney says:

I think this thread is about some republicans who recently said that if they can defeat the healthcare reform … it’s be Oboma’s Waterloo.

In my opinion:
    You watch … in the next few days the word will get out.
    All the senators and represetatives getting sooooo much money from Healthcare lobbysts. They’re all going to look like they’re taking bribes rather than protecting people.

The replicans will look much worse … the dems will get a pass.
    The dems will only look like they turned against the lobbyists for some higher calling.

Ther republicans are going to look like Odie getting fooled by Garfield … again.

Ok so must all REPS who are against health care be hoping to see Obama fail?
    Im opposed to this bill for a TRILLION :D , that’s right, trillion reasons,,,, but seeing the prez fail is exactly ZERO of them. And YES if Bush presented said bill I would oppose it and YES when he proposed the TRILLION :D,,, that’s right, trillion bailout, I opposed it with my blood, sweat and tears and prayers !

Well, when a man says he hopes to make Obama fail I take him at his word. I’m not talking about all reps.

Cagney Reply:

> Ali Silver
    > Ok so must all REPS who are against health care
    > be hoping to see Obama fail?

Nevertheless I can’t understand how anyone can dissagree that people are getting screwed by the healthcare industry, with the ongoing enabling of the government. It’s like price fixing – with the government’s backing. It’s needs it’s ass kicked – and good.

I can’t understand how anyone can dissagree that this current healtcare arrangement is NOT sustainable.

I can’t understand how anyone can dissagree that reform will cost $$$. And even if reluctant to drag out their wallets, just give in and admit that it has to be paid for.

No. I think that the “Health reform foes plan Obama’s ‘Waterloo’” but they don’t plan anything else beyond Obama’s failure … they are NOT planing ANYTHING good for you and me.

They only care about getting elected back in.

Hi Cagney :)
    I agree with most of this ^^^ post of yours.
    …………………..
    …………………..
    I agree 10000% with this statement. Has anyone suggeted the govt. STOP enabling the screwing of the American people by the health care industry? Until that time I do not agree with SPENDING another 1c.
    The reason I oppose it is because healthcare is a RACKET. They spend recklessly and wastefully and we pick up the tab. Very much the same with banker and auto bailouts. All 3 , oops 2 so far, GIANT Trillion bailouts of the last 10 months, I VEHEMENTLY and on the record have opposed every step of the way.
    It has nothing to do with Obama failing. I prayed Bush would fail with his fall bailout.

So I say If the reps have unsavory reasons for wanting this to fail,, I just don’t care. As long as it fails. But , being open minded, of course I realize a load of the reps only want Obama to fail at all costs . But on this topic, I want it to fail on its merit.
    WHY THE RUSH??? We are talking about a GIANT overhaul and a permanent CHANGING of the way things go. So why can’t it be discussed for a while and thought about all the angles and get all the kinks worked out BEFORE they vote on it? Whats the flipping rush? FEAR!! THis is exactly what Bush did in the fall. HURRY HURRY HURRY or we’re all doomed !

When you and your family are thinking about a major investment like buying a house..don’ t you shop around a bit? Crunch the numbers? Look up mortgage rates and aprs?

Mark my words,,, any time the govt. tells you it’s an emergency and we have to act NOW or else……… it ain’t good ! :)

Also for the record, I am NOT opposed to a healthcare reform. I agree it’s too expensive and more people need coverage. I would love to see a workable solution. I think everyone needs ACCESS to health care. But there are too many variables with the current system that will NOT change and that’s where they lose my support.

The rush is because it keeps getting put on the back burner. If Obama doesn’t push it won’t get done because congress is basically made up of gutless wonders.

Hey DEMINT made a lotta racket a few months back or more, but I can’t remember what for…….does anyone ?

No, sorry, I don’t remember.

Cagney Reply:

Try Googling his name, he’s all over the place.

cagney —”I suppose then that your reasons for opposing healthcare reform are an “exception” to the general rule that is being conveyed by what we’re watching and reading about. The replican leaders DON’T care about anything – but getting back in to power.”
    ………………………………
    If the republicans care about getting power back SO MUCH, they would do better to shut up about health care and try to find a SUITABLE and RESPECTABLE candidate to run instead of jerking around with all these losers.. ie: potential presidential candidates ….. :P

And to my MOM,,, that TOTALLY includes palin too …. hehe

OK,, if anyone cares,,, DEMINT !!!!!
    BUSH BAILOUT……………
    September 22, 2008 – Washington D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina) announced his opposition to the $700 billion plan proposed by the Bush Administration to bailout Wall Street.

“After reviewing the Administration’s proposed bailout plan, I believe it is completely unacceptable. This plan does nothing to address the misguided government policies that created this mess and it could make matters much worse by socializing an entire sector of the U.S. economy. This plan fails to oversee or regulate the government failures that led to this crisis. Instead it greatly increases the role for Secretary Paulson whose market predictions have been consistently wrong in the last year, and provides corporate welfare for investment firms on Wall Street that don’t want to disclose their assets and sell them to private investors for market rates. Most Americans are paying their bills on time and investing responsibly and should not be forced to pay for the reckless actions of some on Wall Street, especially when no one can guarantee this will solve our current problems.”
    “It’s a sad fact, but Americans can no longer trust the economic information they are getting from this Administration. The Administration said the bailout of Bear Stearns would stop the bleeding and solve the problem, but they were wrong. They said $150 billion in new government spending using rebate checks would solve the problem, but they were wrong again. They said new authority to bailout Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac would solve the problem without being used, but they were wrong again. Now they want us to trust them to spend nearly a trillion dollars on more government bailouts. It’s completely irresponsible and I cannot support it.”
    OBAMA STIMULUS…………..
    Is the new Obama administration taking cues from the Bush administration to get Congress to act? It certainly seemed that way to, South Carolina’s junior Republican senator, Jim DeMint.

DeMint, speaking Jan. 27 at The Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C., explained the Obama administration will “create crisis and widespread panic” just like its predecessor in order to get Congress to act expeditiously.

“I’ve been around long enough to know whenever someone tells me I have to make a decision right now, my response is no,” DeMint said. “That clears it up right away and I think more and more the Bush administration and now this administration knows that they’re not going to get a quick reaction out of Congress unless they create crisis and widespread panic. And that’s going to be their M.O. to get Congress to act.”

So it is really No surprise he is against the health care bill.
    The reason his name was familiar to me is that he was one of the very few REPUBLICANS to openly and loudly oppose Bush bailout of fall……… :)