Simpson Sentenced to at Least 9 Years in Prison

Finally some accountability for O.J.

Simpson Sentenced to at Least 9 Years in Prison

By STEVE FRIESS

Published: December 5, 2008

LAS VEGAS — O.J. Simpson, the one-time football great who was acquitted in perhaps the most-watched murder trial of the 20th century, was sentenced Friday to a minimum of nine years in prison for his role in a 2007 raid on a Las Vegas hotel room in which two collectibles dealers were robbed of a trove of sports memorabilia.

Simpson Sentenced to at Least 9 Years in Prison – NYTimes.com.

FacebookTwitterStumbleUponDiggPinterest
This entry was posted in Breaking News, General U.S. News. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Simpson Sentenced to at Least 9 Years in Prison

1. Jen says:

Well, they got him one way or the other, didn’t they. What a shame.

2. Sage says:

Hi Jen…your post went into moderation and I’m not sure why. Sorry about that…I’ll check and see what’s up. Did you change email addresses?

I have to wonder if OJ was convicted of THIS crime based on the evidence or if he was convicted because of the past case. Don’t get me wrong, I pretty much think he’s guilty as sin but we have a system of justice that should be applied to everyone.

3. Morena says:

Personally, I think he was convicted based on the past case. Karma got him.

I watched the sentencing. The judge was very clear that the previous case had no bearing on this one. That she has to respect the finding of the jury in both cases. Then she went over key issues like a gun being present and everything was on tape including followup phone calls and the party afterward.

5. Proof that O.J. Simpson was not sane at the time of the murders in the 90′s was that he didn’t use that line of defense. There actually were several compelling tipping points that could have led to OJ losing it before the murders, and he probably would have gotten a severely reduced sentence, and amazingly enough, some compassion, if he had pled temporary insanity. Being found innocent was the worst thing that could have happened to OJ Simpson because it made him not acknowledge what he was capable of when his buttons were pushed.

O.J.’s estranged wife had her ways at getting back at O.J. for his childish and hurtful behavior. Her laying down the law and denying OJ access to his own kids and spending his money on other romantic dalliances would most likely have set off some other men as well. No it does not justify what OJ did, but it appears to have driven him insane with rage.

Unfortunately, the original murder will never have the truth associated with it. The original murder was not just about a famous man murdering his defenseless wife, it was about the spoiled, elite rich abusing each other until one of them cracked, and yes, OJ gave more than he got, but it would be sexist to say that Nicole Brown Simpson did not occasionally get in her own brand of fighting back, fueling a dysfunctional situation to the point of no return.

What we have now ironically, may be an accidental case of ageism. OJ is now in his early 60′s? If he thinks somebody has something of his, of course he will use back up to get it back because he is now an older man. If OJ were 20 years younger, he probably just shows up and says give me my stuff. The actual encounter was tape recorded by the people in the room.

Have you ever heard of a kidnap victim deciding to record their encounter BEFORE it even happens? If one knows they are about to be kidnapped, generally the idea is to leave and go somewhere safe, not pull out a tape recorder secretly record a situation that might lead to their being harmed.

At the end of the day, these were all men child with varying degrees of danger associated with them. I still hold out hope that OJ will confess to the murders and bring out into the light the stupid behavior on both sides that led to his meltdown. It won’t change what happened, but it will at least put a more truthful light on it.

Perhaps OJ Simpson incorrectly believed that because he was the physically stronger person in the relationship that he controlled all of the shots, this is a mistake that men sometimes make. Many times the emotionally stronger person actually calls the shots, but they need to be careful they don’t hit a trigger point in the less emotionally mature counterpart.

6. Jen says:

No Sage, didn’t change my e-mail. I don’t mind moderation. ;)

As for OJ, I’m one of those who believes he is innocent of those murders. I didn’t follow this case much, but from what I understood (from his side) that he thought his memorabilia was stolen. Now, that doesn’t excuse what he did, it was stupid. But I thought the sentence was harsh. JMO.

7. Barga says:

the judge made it clear this was based on this case, not the others
    he is 15-33, 9 is parole year

8. Al says:

Wish Mr. Simpson better days ahead, but in this particular instance he should cowboy up and make amends… “Do the crime, do the time”.

Al

9. Sage says:

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for Simpson…he had everything a man could want and that wasn’t enough for him. He destroyed his own life.